W.TEC in 2020 supported the annual ‘’16 Days of Activism Against Violence Against Women’’ with a new campaign format which this time will be a continuous programme for W.TEC to put staying safe online on the front-burner. In the past W.TEC organises series Staying safe online workshops for ladies and girls in higher institutions and secondary schools respectively to familiarize our women and girls with staying safe-online techniques, this has been done by W.TEC annually for the past 10years. Due to the outbreak of the pandemic the programme was redesigned to be an online campaign exploring the following to ensure both online and offline protection of our women and girls:
- Week 1 (November 25 – 27) Techniques for girls to “staying-safe on the internet”.
- Week 2 (November 30 – December 4) Online threats faced by ladies on the internet during the lockdown.
- Week 3 (December 7 – 10) A conversation on why some girls (aged 7 and below) are getting sexually assaulted by men.
Subsequently from this campaign a good number of resources deployed will now be continuously put to use monthly to boost W.TEC’s capacity to serving our online female population with techniques and knowledge to staying safe online in the longrun this is aimed at setting the pace for a sustained public awareness for the online safety for our ladies and girls. These new resources and activities include the following:
- A Resource webpage for staying safe online page.
- A YouTube staying safe online Resource channel.
- Interactive online feedback sessions designed to observe latest trends of online attacks on women and girls.
The 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence is an annual international campaign that kicks off on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and runs until 10 December, Human Rights Day. It was started by activists at the inaugural Women’s Global Leadership Institute in 1991 and continues to be coordinated each year by the Center for Women’s Global Leadership. It is used as an organizing strategy by individuals and organizations around the world to call for the prevention and elimination of violence against women and girls.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]