SHE CREATES CAMP
About She Creates Camp
The SHE CREATES CAMP is an award winning STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Maths) camp programme for girls, aged 13 to 17 years. Since its inception in 2008 the camp has been a residential camp in Lagos and after expansion to other states it has featured non residential camps for girls in Ibadan(Oyo State), Awka (Anambra State), Ilorin (Kwara State).
The camp programme helps to intervene early, combat stereotypes and tackle the technology gender divide. The camps this year is slated to hold in Lagos(residential) , Kwara (Ilorin State) and Awka (Anambra State).
The camps provides a high quality and exciting environment where the girls learn to create useful technologies for everyday living through high insightful sessions like; computer programming, robotics, mobile application development, graphics designing, renewable energy, digital film production, artificial intelligence(AI), chemical science, digital electronics technology, and digital animation programming. Thus this helps schoolgirls develop an early interest in computer science, information technology, Engineering, Medicine and other STEAM related careers.
In addition, through a mix of classes, career talks, workshops, presentations, excursions and leadership exercises, we endeavor to build strong, intelligent and focused young women, well-prepared for living and working in an increasingly technology-driven world.
Partners for the camp programme and supporters have included Union Bank, MainOne, General Electric, Internet Society (ISOC), Intel, Amadeus, Google, Microsoft, World Bank, Swift Networks, Omatek Computers, Rutgers University Women in Computer Science Department, Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology, Lagos State Ministry of Education and Laureates College – Lagos.
Feed back from evaluation and follow-up with alumnae of the camp indicates the following:
- 57% of alumnae surveyed are using the technology skills and knowledge gained to generate income.
- 86% of girl-alumnae surveyed were inspired to pursue a stem-related career path.
- 55% of camp alumnae surveyed are pursuing careers in STEM related fields.
The camp also enlists participants into a functional Alumna Network which is a sisterhood of women in technology. The long term objective of the network is forge a community of women who support each other and sustain the continuity of W.TEC in years to come.
We have for you a rich multi-media library of the camp which features videos of past sessions, testimonial of participants, presentation of projects built during the past camps and an alumna showcase webpage.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE CAMP
1. To inspire a love for technology by delivering challenging and engaging hands-on technology workshops and classes.
- To encourage girls to explore technology careers, by giving a realistic and positive idea of technology-related careers through career talks and career-themed films.
- Help girls plan their future careers with the assistance of mentors and women currently working in these fields.
- To encourage out-of-the-box thinking by helping girls develop critical thinking skills within a nurturing the environment, while gaining fundamental life skills such as etiquette, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Establish a network of technology-fluent alumni and mentors, where interactions with female role models in the technology field are encouraged.
Partners who have shown their supports towards making our goals and objectives become a reality includes Google.org, Global Giving, SAGE Foundation, Swift Networks Ltd, and Laureates College – Lagos. For our media publicity includes: Bella Naija.
View previous camps
2018 Camp Videos,
2016 Camp Videos,