The MentorHER programme is a mentorship and leadership programme for female undergraduates studying Science Technology Engineering and Maths (STEM) courses at Nigerian tertiary institutions.
W.TEC’s MentorHer Programme is aimed at supporting young women studying STEM courses at the tertiary level, sharing important technical tips and life skills, which will be instrumental in helping them succeed as technology professionals.
This mentoring programme will provide a platform for the young women to gain first-hand knowledge from experienced women in technology fields, so they start and navigate their careers in a more informed and strategic manner.
The 2020 – 2021 cycle is slated for 6months featuring mentors from all over the world. Hence it is our pleasure to introduce our new mentors for the 2020/2021 MentorHER programe.
MentorHER achieves its goals by:
- Helping mentees develop individual roadmaps to clarify and achieve their career goals
- Providing information about career options to female STEM university and polytechnic students
- Equipping mentees with important leadership and life skills that will enable them chart successful and impactful careers
- Requiring that mentees organise workshops to share information about STEM careers to other young women
Benefits of being a Mentor
- To give back : Giving back helps you obtain personal satisfaction by making a difference in the career development of the new generation, facilitate your own professional and personal growth by sharing the knowledge you learned through your years of experience. Mentoring experience empowers and impact both mentors and mentees and largely contributes to their personal development.
- Be a change maker: Mentors can be the change they want to see in the world through their efforts of instilling seeds of growth in the new generation.
- Be and Inspiration to the younger generation: You will be inspiring the younger generation of leaders who are passionate about their field of study through your obtained leadership and management skills and using effective communication techniques.
Benefits of Mentoring for the Mentee:
- Gains capacity to translate values and strategies into productive actions
- Complements ongoing formal study and/or training and development activities
- Gains career development opportunities
- Gets assistance with ideas and honest feedback
- Demonstrates strengths and explores potential
- Increases career networks and receives greater agency exposure
- Improves ability to express expectations, goals, and concerns
- Gains sharper focus on what is needed to grow professionally
- Receives knowledge of organizational culture