W.TEC Inaugurates Girls Advisory Council
W.TEC is excited to present to you the newly inaugurated Girls Advisory Council. The new council is the second set to come on board. To this effect, W.TEC thanks her immediate past council for their commitment and support.
The W.TEC Girls Advisory Council comprises of a group of select ladies (alumnae of W.TEC programmes) nominated to work as an advisory group to partner with W.TEC staff members on activities ranging from programme development to research and publicity. The GAC members will also have the opportunity to make recommendations to and share their ideas with W.TEC’s Board of Trustees and Advisory Board members. By facilitating youth-adult partnership, these leadership opportunities allow GAC members to influence decision-making processes in the organisation.
The inauguration event which was held virtually had the management and of W.TEC, newly appointed board and some members of the outgoing council member.
Our executive Director, Oreoluwa Lesi in her address said the following:
“I am pleased to welcome our incoming Girl Advisory Council (GAC). Since 2020, when we first inaugurated, the GAC, it has been an important part of our leadership structure, helping us bring the voices of our younger beneficiaries to decision-making. We look forward to this new council building on the foundation already laid by the outgoing set and helping W.TEC’s programmes stay relevant to the needs of our beneficiaries”.
The following are the members of the newly Inaugurated Council:
- Monsurat Oshinfisan
- Toluwani Precious Ogunbiyi
- Arafah Ayobami Ogunfemi
- Chizitalu Ogbuja
- Clement Benita
- Oyin Adepiti
Furthermore, W.TEC wishes to thank the immediate past council members for their service:
1. Sophiyat Sadiq – Co-Chairperson
- Chioma Onyenokwe – Co-Chairperson
- Monsurat Oshinfisan – Secretary
- Yvonne Omage
- Oluwarotimi Alli-Balogun
- Dolapo Nurudeen
- Oluwaferanmi Olatunji
Criteria for GAC Membership:
- Alumna of a W.TEC programme and must have completed the programme
- They must be between 18 to 30 years at the start of their tenure
- Have shown interest in W.TEC post-graduation and supported by volunteering, provided feedback for follow-up interviews, donated to W.TEC and sought other collaborations
- Will have the time to devote to board duties (Can participate in 1 virtual or physical meeting every 3 months, attend events if asked and available, can be available if consulted in-between meetings)
- Available to be on the board for a tenure of 1 year (renewable for 1 more term)
GAC Organizational Structure:
- The GAC is made up of seven girl members
- Two Co-Chairs and One Secretary are elected by the GAC members
- Typically a senior member of the W.TEC staff may join the GAC meetings to provide any background information needed by the GAC members
Benefits that GAC Members will Receive:
GAC members will:
- Be listed as a GAC member on our website (https://wtec.org.ng)
- Be nominated for suitable leadership trainings as the opportunities arise
- Receive valuable leadership experience that can be listed on your CV
- Receive a Certificate of Council Membership at the successful completion of their tenure
- Girls make a minimum one-year commitment to participate in the GAC. The term calendar runs June 1 – May 31.
- The tenure is renewable for 1 more term.