The year 2019 has indeed been a marvelous one for W.TEC with so much awards, nominations and emergance as finalist in a couple of award programmes. We are excited about these honours and wish to share them with you:
- NEDIS Recognisiton Award: W.TEC won the innugural NEDIS Recognisition Awards in the Gender focused education intervention category. The award went to efforts of W.TEC’s She Creates Camp programme for Girls is a summer STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Maths) Camp initiative of W.TEC designed to help Nigerian secondary school girls (13 – 17 years) develop an early interest in computer science, information technology and related careers. NEDIS, is the Education Innovation Summit is an annual educator sector stakeholders’ convening organised and hosted by The Education Partnership (TEP) Centre. The NEDIS Recognition Award for Innovation in Education which is designed to identify and recognise innovative solutions within the education space that addresses identified problems of access, equity and quality in the education sector. The Award serves as a platform to recognise and appreciate education interventions which have evidence of effectiveness, relative advantage over existing solutions and potential for scalability and sustainability.
- Finalist – Girls Voices for Change Contest: one of our contestants for the #girlsvoicesforchangeglobal photography contests, made it to the finalist stage of the contest. From hundreds of talented girls in 20 countries, Omolabake was one of 40 outstanding finalist of the contest. The #girlsvoicesforchange photography contests is a follow-up of the global partnership programme by @girlsvoicesnow whom engaged local NGOs and schools to organize photography workshops for girls, tagged ”Girls Voices for Change”, The aim of this initiative is to empower girls globally with a voice to tell their stories with photography.
- Project of the Month – GlobalGiving Community: For the month of October W.TEC’s She Creates Camp Account on GlobalGiving was honoured with the project of the month status. This recognition is given to projects with high-impact on communities which actively demonstrates a high level of effectiveness and engagement with the GlobalGiving community. Also the project must have in the past provided regular high-quality, substantive, and informative project reports to donors and has the capacity to absorb the generous funding from Project of the Month gifts.The She Creates Camp programme for Girls is an initiative of W.TEC designed to help Nigerian secondary school girls (13 – 17 years) develop an early interest in computer science, information technology and related careers. The camp programme, holds annually from its inception in 2008, providing an avenue to increase the numbers of women working and using technology by dispelling stereotypes of gender-appropriateness of technology, providing information about technology careers and practical applications of technology, presenting female technical role models and providing access to mentorship and emphasizing the importance of education.In 2019 the She Creates Programme by W.TEC held 4- STEAM Camps(Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) with 101 girls across Nigeria in Lagos, Anambra and Kwara States. This was made possible, thanks to donations from the GlobalGiving Community alongside other wonderful sponsors and supporters. We look forward to your kind donations to enable us empower more girls across Nigeria with life changing STEAM skills to boost their socio-economic opportunities in Nigeria.
- Finalist – EQUALS in Tech Awards: In September 2019 it was announced that W.TEC madethe finalist list for the annual EQUALS in Tech Awards slated forNovember 2019, finalist, in the ”SKILLS” category.
The annual EQUALS in Tech Awards is organized and presented by the EQUALS Global Partnership – a network of 90+ organizations, companies, UN agencies, and research institutions. The Awards recognize groundbreaking initiatives from around the world aimed at bridging the gender digital divide.
- NIRA Presidential Awards: The .ng Presidential Awards are special awards presented by the President of NiRA to individuals and organisations for their contributions to the Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA) and the growth of the .ng brand.The fourth in the series of the .ng Awards held on Friday 5th July, 2019, at Nelo’s Place Event Centre, 2 Yomi Oshikoya Drive, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria. W.TEC was one of winners honoured by the Nigerian Internet Registration Association (NIRA) for her contribution to the development of women in Nigeria.The .ng Awards celebrate the achievements and innovation of Nigerian Internet initiatives. The awards promote the Nigerian businesses, individuals, charity, public and private sector organizations which help to make the Internet a more secure, accessible and rewarding experience for all by using .ng domains for their online presence. From March, 2019 to June, 2019, the General Public was encouraged to nominate and vote for worthy companies who use the .ng domain names for their businesses and have promoted the .ng brand.