The W.TEC Girls Advisory Council comprises of a group of select girls (alumnae of W.TEC programmes) nominated to work as an advisory group to partner with W.TEC staff members on activities ranging from programme development to research and publicity. The GAC members will also have the opportunity to make recommendations to and share their ideas with W.TEC’s Board of Trustees and Advisory Board members. By facilitating youth-adult partnership, these leadership opportunities allow GAC members to influence decision-making processes in the organisation.
Criteria for GAC Membership:
- Alumna of a W.TEC programme and must have completed the programme
- They must be between 18 to 30 years at the start of their tenure
- Have shown interest in W.TEC post-graduation and supported by volunteering, provided feedback for follow-up interviews, donated to W.TEC and sought other collaborations
- Will have the time to devote to board duties (Can participate in 1 virtual or physical meeting every 3 months, attend events if asked and available, can be available if consulted in-between meetings)
- Available to be on the board for a tenure of 1 year (renewable for 1 more term)
GAC Organizational Structure:
- The GAC is made up of seven girl members
- Two Co-Chairs and One Secretary are elected by the GAC members
- Typically a senior member of the W.TEC staff may join the GAC meetings to provide any background information needed by the GAC members
Benefits that GAC Members will Receive:
GAC members will:
- Be listed as a GAC member on our website (https://wtec.org.ng)
- Be nominated for suitable leadership trainings as the opportunities arise
- Receive valuable leadership experience that can be listed on your CV
- Receive a Certificate of Council Membership at the successful completion of their tenure
- Girls make a minimum one-year commitment to participate in the GAC. The term calendar runs June 1 – May 31.
- The tenure is renewable for 1 more term.
Our Executive Director Mrs Oreoluwa Lesi on her take on the newly inaugurated W.TEC Girls Advisory Board said as follows:
It is with utter delight that W.TEC welcomes the inaugural members of our Girl Advisory Council (GAC). This select group of girls will work as an advisory group that partners with W.TEC staff members on activities ranging from programme development to research and publicity. GAC members will also have the opportunity to make recommendations to and share their ideas with W.TEC’s Board of Trustees and Advisory Board members.
Having gone through our programmes, our alumnae are in a good position to give valuable input to us on improving our programmes and better serving our target beneficiaries. We also believe that participation on the GAC will develop our council members’ leadership skills and emerge as an important funnel for the future African and global leaders.