10 Reasons Your Daughter Should Attend She Creates 2023 Camp
Unlock your daughter’s potential this August at Nigeria’s premier residential summer camp for girls, SheCreates!
SheCreates has already touched the lives of over 600 girls since 2008. At the 16th edition of this empowering event, now it’s your daughter’s chance to be a part of this life-changing experience. The programme, organised by W.TEC, provides a unique chance for young females to learn about technology and creativity. SheCreates camp encourages creativity, confidence, and leadership abilities, preparing your daughter to flourish in the digital era via hands-on activities and inspiring mentorship.
That being said, we have a list of reasons why she should join us at SheCreates camp to see her engage with a global network of tech graduates, fueling her enthusiasm for a brighter future!
- Empowering Future Leaders: Sending your teenage daughter to a 2-week summer residential STEM camp for girls in Nigeria provides a unique opportunity for her to develop crucial skills in artificial intelligence, electronics, and software innovation. By gaining expertise in these fields, she can become a future leader in the STEM industry, contributing to Nigeria’s technological advancement.
- Cultivating Creativity and Innovation: The camp offers hands-on projects that encourage your daughter to think creatively and develop innovative solutions. By engaging in activities focused on artificial intelligence and software innovation, she can learn to leverage technology to address real-world challenges and contribute to Nigeria’s technological growth.
- Building Strong Foundations: Computer essentials form the backbone of modern technology. Attending the camp will equip your daughter with fundamental computer skills, enabling her to understand the inner workings of software, hardware, and electronics. This foundational knowledge will be invaluable as she pursues further studies or careers in STEM.
- Fostering Collaboration and Team Building: Through team-building exercises, your daughter will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other girls who share a passion for STEM. This experience will develop her interpersonal skills, enhance her ability to work in diverse teams, and foster a sense of community among like-minded peers.
- Inspiring Career Pathways: The camp includes career-talk sessions where industry professionals share their experiences and insights. These sessions will expose your daughter to various STEM career paths and help her make informed decisions about her future. She can gain valuable guidance and mentorship from experts in the field.
- Exploring Real-World Applications: Excursions organized during the camp offer opportunities to witness real-world applications of STEM fields in action. Visiting technology companies, research institutions, or innovation hubs can inspire your daughter by showcasing the practical impact of artificial intelligence, electronics, and software innovation.
- Promoting Financial Literacy: The camp includes sessions on financial literacy, teaching your daughter essential money management skills. This knowledge will be invaluable as she navigates her future education and career choices, ensuring she can make informed financial decisions.
- Enhancing Emotional Intelligence: In addition to technical skills, the camp focuses on developing emotional intelligence. Your daughter will learn to understand and manage her emotions effectively, fostering self-awareness, empathy, and resilience. These skills are essential for success in any field and will contribute to her overall personal growth.
- Nurturing Entrepreneurial Skills: By immersing your daughter in a camp environment that encourages innovation and creativity, she will have the opportunity to develop entrepreneurial skills. From ideation to execution, she can learn about turning her ideas into tangible projects, fostering an entrepreneurial mindset that can lead to future success.
- Well-Rounded Experience: Alongside the STEM-focused activities, the camp also offers extra-curricular activities, creating a well-rounded experience for your daughter. These activities could include sports, arts, cultural events, and more, ensuring that she has a holistic and enjoyable summer camp experience while also fostering personal growth and development.
Details for SheCreates Camp
Date: August 6 – 19 (2 week camp)
Fee: N 150,000 per participant
- Artificial Intelligence
- Software Innovation
- Computer Essentials
- Hands-on Projects
- Team building
- Career-talk sessions
- Financial Literacy
- Emotional Intelligence
- Entrepreneurial Skills
- Extra-curricular Activities
All About She Creates Camp
The SHE CREATES CAMP is an award winning STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Maths) camp programme for girls, aged 13 to 17 years. Since its inception in 2008 the camp has been a residential camp in Lagos and after expansion to other states it has featured non residential camps for girls in Ibadan(Oyo State), Awka (Anambra State), Ilorin (Kwara State).
The camp programme helps to intervene early, combat stereotypes and tackle the technology gender divide. The camps this year is slated to hold in Lagos(residential) , Kwara (Ilorin State) and Awka (Anambra State).
The camps provides a high quality and exciting environment where the girls learn to create useful technologies for everyday living through high insightful sessions like; computer programming, robotics, mobile application development, graphics designing, renewable energy, digital film production, artificial intelligence(AI), chemical science, digital electronics technology, and digital animation programming. Thus this helps schoolgirls develop an early interest in computer science, information technology, Engineering, Medicine and other STEAM related careers.
In addition, through a mix of classes, career talks, workshops, presentations, excursions and leadership exercises, we endeavor to build strong, intelligent and focused young women, well-prepared for living and working in an increasingly technology-driven world.
Partners for the camp programme and supporters have included Union Bank, MainOne, General Electric, Internet Society (ISOC), Intel, Amadeus, Google, Microsoft, World Bank, Swift Networks, Omatek Computers, Rutgers University Women in Computer Science Department, Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology, Lagos State Ministry of Education and Laureates College – Lagos.
Feed back from evaluation and follow-up with alumnae of the camp indicates the following:
- 57% of alumnae surveyed are using the technology skills and knowledge gained to generate income.
- 86% of girl-alumnae surveyed were inspired to pursue a stem-related career path.
- 55% of camp alumnae surveyed are pursuing careers in STEM related fields.
The camp also enlists participants into a functional Alumna Network which is a sisterhood of women in technology. The long term objective of the network is forge a community of women who support each other and sustain the continuity of W.TEC in years to come.
We have for you a rich multi-media library of the camp which features videos of past sessions, testimonial of participants, presentation of projects built during the past camps and an alumna showcase webpage.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE CAMP
1. To inspire a love for technology by delivering challenging and engaging hands-on technology workshops and classes.
- To encourage girls to explore technology careers, by giving a realistic and positive idea of technology-related careers through career talks and career-themed films.
- Help girls plan their future careers with the assistance of mentors and women currently working in these fields.
- To encourage out-of-the-box thinking by helping girls develop critical thinking skills within a nurturing the environment, while gaining fundamental life skills such as etiquette, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Establish a network of technology-fluent alumni and mentors, where interactions with female role models in the technology field are encouraged.
Partners who have shown their supports towards making our goals and objectives become a reality includes Google.org, Global Giving, SAGE Foundation, Swift Networks Ltd, and Laureates College – Lagos. For our media publicity includes: Bella Naija.
View previous camps
2018 Camp Videos,
2016 Camp Videos,