THE SHE CREATES TECHNOLOGY CAMP PROGRAMME FOR GIRLS
The She Creates Technology Camp programme for girls
SHE CREATES NEXT (VIRTUAL CAMP FOR GIRLS)
The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC) is excited to present the 2020 edition of her She Creates Camp for girls. The award-winning girls STEAM – camp (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Maths) is taking the summer experience to the next level with a virtual camp which promises to be a memorable and impactful – fun learning experience like no other for your daughters in 2020.
Due to popular demand for the camp to hold this year and consideration for the safety of participants which is our main priority the Virtual camp tagged She Creates Next 2020 will afford many more girls the opportunity to partake in the life-changing STEAM empowering experience and stay safe during the pandemic.
The virtual camp which is slated to run from July 13th to August 7th 2020 is designed to help girls (11 – 17 years) develop an early interest in computer science, information technology and related careers. In addition, participants will also get to forge life long bonds with girls who share the same enthusiasm for technology.
Moreover, since the pandemic has highlighted that possession of digital skills are now non-negotiable the four-week online immersion programme will empower girls to contribute meaningfully to the digital economy and improve their economic opportunities.
The camp sessions will include a mix of career talks and hands-on technology workshops such as Website Design, Video editing, Mobile Application Development and Python Programming, which endeavours to inspire creativity and build strong, intelligent and focused young women, well-prepared for living and working in an increasingly technology-driven world.
Evaluations of previous She Creates camps show enhanced leadership skills; creativity; problem-solving and communication abilities in our alumnae as a result of attending the camp.
Overview of camp offerings:
Module 1- Mobile Application Development: July 13 – July 17 (Mon-Fri)
Module 2- Video editing: July 20 – July 24 (Mon-Fri)
Module 3- Python Programming: July 27 – July 31 (Mon-Fri)
Module 4- Website Design: Aug 03 – Aug 07 (Mon-Fri)
Payment for 1 week: N20,000
Payment for 2 weeks: N40,000
Payment for 3 weeks: N55,000
Payment for 4 weeks: N70,000
Time: 11am- 1pm daily.
Eligible Age: 11-17years
The W.TEC She Creates Camp is highly competitive and we would love that your girls participate, so kindly apply early.
Phone: +234 806 077 6145, +234 808 169 0699
About the She Creates Camp:
The SHE CREATES CAMP is an award winning STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Maths) camp programme for girls, aged 13 to 17 years. Since its inception in 2008 the camp has been a residential camp in Lagos and after expansion to other states it has featured non residential camps for girls in Ibadan(Oyo State), Awka (Anambra State), Ilorin (Kwara State).
The camp programme helps to intervene early, combat stereotypes and tackle the technology gender divide. The camps this year is slated to hold in Lagos(residential) , Kwara (Ilorin State) and Awka (Anambra State).
The camps provides a high quality and exciting environment where the girls learn to create useful technologies for everyday living through high insightful sessions like; computer programming, robotics, mobile application development, graphics designing, renewable energy, digital film production, artificial intelligence(AI), chemical science, digital electronics technology, and digital animation programming. Thus this helps schoolgirls develop an early interest in computer science, information technology, Engineering, Medicine and other STEAM related careers.
In addition, through a mix of classes, career talks, workshops, presentations, excursions and leadership exercises, we endeavor to build strong, intelligent and focused young women, well-prepared for living and working in an increasingly technology-driven world.
Partners for the camp programme and supporters have included Union Bank, MainOne, General Electric, Internet Society (ISOC), Intel, Amadeus, Google, Microsoft, World Bank, Swift Networks, Omatek Computers, Rutgers University Women in Computer Science Department, Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology, Lagos State Ministry of Education and Laureates College – Lagos.
Feed back from evaluation and follow-up with alumnae of the camp indicates the following:
- 57% of alumnae surveyed are using the technology skills and knowledge gained to generate income.
- 21% of girl-alumnae surveyed were inspired to pursue a stem-related career path.
- 55% of camp alumnae surveyed are pursuing careers in STEM related fields.
The camp also enlists participants into a functional Alumna Network which is a sisterhood of women in technology. The long term objective of the network is forge a community of women who support each other and sustain the continuity of W.TEC in years to come.
We have for you a rich multi-media library of the camp which features videos of past sessions, testimonial of participants, presentation of projects built during the past camps and an alumna showcase webpage.
Visit Past Camps Page
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE CAMP
1. To inspire a love for technology by delivering challenging and engaging hands-on technology workshops and classes.
- To encourage girls to explore technology careers, by giving a realistic and positive idea oftechnology-related careers through career talks and career-themed films.
- Help girls plan their future careers with the assistance of mentors and women currently working in these fields.
- To encourage out-of-the-box thinking by helping girls develop critical thinking skills within a nurturing the environment, while gaining fundamental life skills such as etiquette, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Establish a network of technology-fluent alumni and mentors, where interactions with female role models in the technology field are encouraged.
Partners who have shown their supports towards making our goals and objectives become a reality includes Google.org, Global Giving, SAGE Foundation, Swift Networks Ltd, and Laureates College – Lagos. For our media publicity includes: Bella Naija.
Criteria for selection of Girls to the camp
• Are Girls between the ages of 13 to 17 years
. Are Girls who have shown interest in learning Computer Technology
. Are Girls who have distinguished themselves during W.TEC organized ICT workshops, prior to the camp.
Evaluations of previous camps indicate enhanced leadership skills; creativity; and problem-solving and communication abilities in the girls as a result of attending the camp. Which also affords the girls a firsthand experience into the world of technology.
- How safe is the residential camp? The 12 editions of the camp has held in a premium private secondary school located in a multiple gated and secured Estate situated in an upscale part of Lagos State.
- Can boys attend the camp? The SheCreates camp is a girls only summer camp.
- Can my daughter travel in from out of Lagos to attend? We receive participants from all over the country who attend our camps annually.
- When is application to the camps closing? Applications close as soon as all slots are applied and paid.
- Can I attend the camp on scholarship? Only girls chosen by W.TEC for this opportunity attends the camp on scholarship.
- How old is the camp? The camp has been held annually since 2008.
- What will be taught and how much is fee for the camp? We listed our 2019 camps above, each camp links you to its information page.