The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC) is set to mark the 2019 Safer Internet Day with a line up of activities to make it an impactful one.
The “Safer Internet Day” marked annually on the 2nd – Tuesday of February is a day set aside to raise awareness for the empowerment of more people to using Internet technology towards community development.
To this effect, to mark the day, as it will be celebrated globally with the theme: ”Together for a Better Internet” W.TEC has lined up a host of impactful activities which includes:
- An online safer internet campaign
- An online campaign on Social Media Ettiquette
- Staying safe Internet workshops at select schools in Lagos State
- Staying safe Internet workshops at select schools in Kwara State
In light with the global theme for SID 2019; ”Together for a Better Internet”, our events and online campaigns will focus on Etiquette on the Internet, training our youth how to threat each other respectfully and create a better internet by developing four, critical skills which are the 4Rs: Respect, Responsibility, Reasoning and Resilience.
The objectives of this programme are:
- Strengthen knowledge and skills of Nigerian youth in driving for more youth to engage and use the internet positively and towards the socio – economic growth of the country.
- To teach our youth the innovative ways of using the Internet safely.
- To teach our youth to have a better understanding and benefits of been respectful to each other
Furthermore, W.TEC intends to support this event annually to sustain its drive to creating a generational change in the mind-set of our youth towards ICT.