W.TEC Marks 2023 International Women's Day
Lagos – Nigeria
March 7, 2020:
On this special day, we honour the contributions of our women towards the growth of our society, their struggles for women’s rights and gender equality. Also on this day, we call attention to the many other rights and liberties that women around the world should have.
The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC) marks the 2023 International Women’s Day (IWD) in a big way by organizing a series of events across the country and also supporting events organized by other organizations.
The International Women’s Day theme for 2023, “DigitALL: Innovation and technology for gender equality,” has gotten W.TEC heavily involved by numerous reputable organizations which have requested our inputs for their events because we are a recognized authority in the field, given that we’ve been a part of those in Nigeria at the forefront of empowering women and girls in technology for the past 15 years, with a staggering reach of 43,384 women and girls empowered with tech skills through our various programmes and partnerships.
W.TEC is proud to organize the following events for participants of some of her programmes:
- Organising talk sessions featuring invited guest speakers, with secondary school girls at schools, participating in W.TEC’s Academy (An after school computer training programme for girls) in Lagos.
- Hosting of mentorship sessions for participants of our MakeHER Space programme (a technology training programme for women in business) in Kwara State.
- W.TEC’s radio show She Talks Tech on Women Radio 91.7fm, featuring discussions gender equity in the tech space.
On the other hand, we are also supporting the following events organized by other reputable organisations.
- The Executive Director of W.TEC, Oreoluwa Lesi, will participate in a panel discussion on a radio programme organized by Africa Tech Radio.
- The Programmes Manager of W.TEC, Folashade Braimoh, will be speaking on a Twitter space event hosted by ACT Foundation.
- The Executive Director of W.TEC, Oreoluwa Lesi, will take part in a panel discussion on a zoom event organized by mymutti.com by 2pm
- The Communications Officer of W.TEC, Adeyemi Odutola, will be a panelist on a Twitter space event hosted by Women’s Radio 91.7fm in Lagos
- The Executive Director of W.TEC, Oreoluwa Lesi, will take part in a panel discussion on an live Instagram event hosted by ONCOPADI.
The International Women’s Day (IWD) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity. Significant activity is witnessed worldwide as groups come together to celebrate women’s achievements or rally for women’s equality. Marked annually on March 8th, International Women’s Day is one of the most important days of the year to:
- Celebrate women’s achievements
- Raise awareness about women’s equality
- Lobby for accelerated gender parity
- Fundraise for female-focused charities
The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre (W.TEC) is a Nigerian nonprofit organisation focused on encouraging girls to pursue technology careers and supporting both girls and women to use technology confidently for entrepreneurship and to speak about issues affecting their lives. We build the capacities of Nigerian girls and women, to increase their economic power and ability to speak about issues affecting their lives.
This is done through technology literacy training, technology-based projects, mentoring, work placement and research. W.TEC works in partnership with local and international NGOs, educational and research organizations.
W.TEC’s work is focused on nurturing the next generation of female technology creators, entrepreneurs and leaders. Our programmes include technology camps, after-school clubs, mentoring and research activities.
For more information:
Contact Person: Adeyemi Odutola (Communication Officer),