The She Creates Camp programme for Girls is an initiative of W.TEC designed to help Nigerian secondary school girls (13 – 17 years) develop an early interest in computer science, information technology and related careers. The camp programme, holds annually from its inception in 2008, providing an avenue to increase the numbers of women working and using technology by dispelling stereotypes of gender-appropriateness of technology, providing information about technology careers and practical applications of technology, presenting female technical role models and providing access to mentorship and emphasizing the importance of education.
The camp programme since 2017 has been holding both residential and non-residential camps across the nation with a mix of classes, workshops, presentations, excursions and leadership exercises, which endeavours to build strong, intelligent and focused young women, well-prepared for living and working in an increasingly technology-driven world. At the camps we aim to mould young girls’ psyche, give them a positive image of technology, related fields and opportunities while bridging the knowledge and skill gap between boys and girls in their career paths.
- SheCreates 2019 Lagos-Mainland Camp – Residential Camp (August 18th – 31st)
- SheCreates 2019 Lekki Camp – Non-Residential Camp (July 29th – Aug 9th)
- SheCreates 2019 Awka Camp – Non-Residential Camp (August 26th – Sept 6th)
- SheCreates 2019 Ilorin Camp – Non-Residential Camp (August 26th – Sept 6th)
SheCreates Camp – Media Gallery
- Camp photo album – 2017: Lagos-Mainland Camp Ibadan Camp
- Camp photo album – 2018: Lagos-Mainland Camp Lekki Camp Awka Camp
- Videos of Camp Sessions -2017: Lagos-Mainland Camp Ibadan Camp
- Videos of Camp Sessions -2018: Lagos-Mainland Camp Lekki Camp
- Testimonials of Camp Participants: 2017 Camp Testimonials 2018 Camp Testimonials
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE CAMP
1. To inspire a love for technology by delivering challenging and engaging hands-on technology workshops and classes.
- To encourage girls to explore technology careers, by giving a realistic and positive idea oftechnology-related careers through career talks and career-themed films.
- Help girls plan their future careers with the assistance of mentors and women currently working in these fields.
- To encourage out-of-the-box thinking by helping girls develop critical thinking skills within a nurturing the environment, while gaining fundamental life skills such as etiquette, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Establish a network of technology-fluent alumni and mentors, where interactions with female role models in the technology field are encouraged.
Partners who have shown their supports towards making our goals and objectives become a reality includes Google.org, Global Giving, SAGE Foundation, Swift Networks Ltd, and Laureates College – Lagos. For our media publicity includes: Bella Naija.
Criteria for selection of Girls to the camp
• Are Girls between the ages of 13 to 17 years
. Are Girls who have shown interest in learning Computer Technology
. Are Girls who have distinguished themselves during W.TEC organized ICT workshops, prior to the camp.
Evaluations of previous camps indicate enhanced leadership skills; creativity; and problem-solving and communication abilities in the girls as a result of attending the camp. Which also affords the girls a firsthand experience into the world of technology.
- How safe is the residential camp? The 12 editions of the camp has held in a premium private secondary school located in a multiple gated and secured Estate situated in an upscale part of Lagos State.
- Can boys attend the camp? The SheCreates camp is a girls only summer camp.
- Can my daughter travel in from out of Lagos to attend? We receive participants from all over the country who attend our camps annually.
- When is application to the camps closing? Applications close as soon as all slots are applied and paid.
- Can I attend the camp on scholarship? Only girls chosen by W.TEC for this opportunity attends the camp on scholarship.
- How old is the camp? The camp has been held annually since 2008.
- What will be taught and how much is fee for the camp? We listed our 2019 camps above, each camp links you to its information page.